Wheels & forks
Ariel manufactured their own girder forks from 1927 up to 1946. The design was revised several times until settling down in 1934, the only later change being the addition of a pair of auxiliary springs in 1939. The W/NG model had slightly longer forks to give increased ground clearance, which were increased again and most did not have a steering damper.
Ariel’s own version of the BSA telescopic forks was introduced during 1946 and are interchangeable with girder forks as a complete assembly along with the mudguard and wheel. The yokes were altered in 1949 to re-position the stanchions further away from the frame and slightly wider apart. In 1950 the speedometer was moved from the tank panel to a steel pressing mounted on top of the fork yoke on the KH, KG and SQ 4 models. This was replaced by an aluminium casting serving both as a top yoke and as a speedometer mounting in 1951 and fitted to all models. The stanchions and top bushes were lengthened in 1954, but the later parts will fit the 1949-53 forks (in pairs). A steering lock was the next alteration being added in 1955, followed in 1956 with the shrouding of the headlamp by a cowl or nacelle. A steering damper was fitted to all models except some of the early basic side valve models and to the 1956-58 NH. A second friction disc and additional metal plate was added in 1935 but dropped in 1953.